The Minnesota Lavender Bar Association (MLBA) is a voluntary professional association of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender queer, and allies, promoting fairness and equality for the LGBT community within the legal industry and for the Minnesota community. Founded in 1996, MLBA has been providing a visible presence within Minnesota’s legal profession and building community between members through quality educational programs, networking opportunities, and social events.
MLBA membership is open to LGBT and allied attorneys, law students, and other legal professionals. Current MLBA members include legal professionals from large and small firms, corporate counsel, solo practices, government agencies, non-profits, academia, the judiciary, and those working in non-traditional attorney roles.
The Minnesota Lavender Bar Association is governed by a voluntary Board of Directors and accomplishes most of the association’s tasks and goals through the seven working committees (visit the Committees Page for more information). Members are encouraged to participate in the organization by volunteering on one of the committees or by helping with one of the many events sponsored by MLBA.
THE BENEFITS OF JOINING MLBA ARE MANY AND INLUDE:
- MLBA Online Directory: A networking tool for members, the directory includes a list of attorneys serving the LGBT community, highlighting attorneys who specifically serve the transgender community.
- Monthly Subscription to the MLBA E-Newsletter: Receive MLBA’s monthly e-newsletter featuring important news, MLBA events, and other LGBT related topics, legislative developments and career opportunities.
- Monthly Subscription to LeGal Notes: Receive a free subscription to Lesbian and Gay Law Notes, a comprehensive national digest published ten times annually, analyzing developments in LGBT- and HIV-related litigation, legislation, and publications (a $65 value).
- Networking and Social Opportunities: MLBA provides many opportunities for its members to meet, socialize, and connect with other like-minded community members and friends of the LGBT legal community.
- Education and Events: MLBA provides opportunities to earn CLE credits while learning about relevant areas of the law effecting the LGBT community and the legal profession. Discounts on membership and events: Enjoy discounts on MLBA’s Annual Conference and memberships such as to the National LGBT Bar Association. [/box]
A downloadable version of MLBA’s membership application is also available for those who wish to apply by mail.